Our high grade USGA sand is clean, consistent and exceeds recommendations for a top dressing sand. Used for golf course greens and fairway construction as well as lawn maintenance programs. Our USGA sand is a sterilized product that is free of undesirable seedheads and is of a particular shape and size that will allow for proper drainage while minimizing compaction.
Top dressing your lawn will enhance its appearance, stimulate new grass grown, improve drainage and wear and tear and reduce thatch. Top dressing can be done at any time but is probably best done in Spring or Autumn when the ground isn't too dry.
Optimal Steps to Topdressing and Overseeding your lawn:
1) Mow the lawn on a low setting.
2) Aerate the lawn using an aerator. This machine will make holes up to six inches deep in your lawn and will deposit the plugs on the lawn surface.
3) Dethatch the lawn and plugs using a power rake or vigorously rake it by hand. This method will save the removal of the soil plugs. Remove the dead grass and thatch.
4) Apply the USGA tufturf Top Dress sand ensuring that you fill the holes using a rake or a stiff broom. This prevents the holes from closing up and promotes a perculation effect that will allow air, water and nutrients to permeate deep into the root zone.
5) Apply tufturf turf starter fertilizer using a hand spreader ensuring even coverage.
6) Apply turfturf overseed mix using a hand spreader, roll out the newly applied seed using a roller fully filled with water.
7) Gently water in and follow a schedule of watering that will keep the lawn moist but not too wet.
Once the grass has re-generated and you are ready to give it the first mowing, then cut your watering to ONE inch, ONE day a week. Measure it and time it, as that will train the roots to look for water deep in the ground.